Do you have some big goals? Are you making progress? Or are you making excuses? How long have you been saying you were going to write that book? Start your own business? Try a new career path? Get out of debt? Get in shape?
Maybe you say you tried it and it didn’t pan out. You wrote a few chapters and quit. Sent the finished copy off to a publisher and got rejected. Applied for another job and didn’t get the call back. Created a business plan but couldn’t find the cash to get started. Tried a diet and gave it up.
Maybe you figure goals and dreams like that are for other people. People who are lucky. People who are really talented or smart. People who have willpower. People who have connections.
Truth or Fiction?
What if I told you none of those things are necessary for you to be successful at accomplishing your dream? What if I told you that you are sabotaging your own success with your beliefs? The picture shown above is from an UpLevel Conference I attended in June. It is one of hundreds of beliefs that participants wrote down that they wanted to give up. Our beliefs are so wired into our brains that many times we aren’t even aware of how they guide our steps. I spent ten years after writing my first Wyatt the Wonder Dog book, waiting for someone to appear in my life and tell me how to get it published. What if I told you that NO ONE like that ever came along and I could easily still be waiting for something to happen if I hadn’t changed my thinking? The first step to accomplishing any dream is to examine your beliefs about yourself and make sure you aren’t sabotaging your God given ability.
Beliefs that Keep You Stuck
Here are five common beliefs that many people hold on to that wreak havoc with their ability to move forward. Do any of these ring true for you?
- Do you believe that you don’t deserve it? Is your image of yourself that of someone who can only do average things in an average world? Someone who can’t possibly be so extraordinary as to step outside the parameters of “normal”? Do you feel that you aren’t worthy of success?
- Do you believe that comfort in your present situation, even an uncomfortable present situation, is better than venturing into unknown territory? Have you been miserable so long that you’ve become accustomed to it and actually prefer it to stepping out into the unknown?
- Do you believe that if you are successful you will lose something or someone? Perhaps family, friends or co-workers would be unhappy, jealous, resentful, or disappointed? Do you find that the people in your life say they want what is best for you but you know they really want you to keep things as they are? Would you rather be safe and secure… and miserable, than successful?
- Do you believe that you are not capable enough, smart enough, savvy enough, athletic enough, gifted enough to be successful? Do you fear that if you became successful, someone would realize that you were faking it?
- Do you believe that you should wait to move forward until you are certain of the future? That you will somehow find that everything fits perfectly into place and until you are certain and confident without a doubt, that you should wait?
Mindset is Key
You see, what we believe about ourselves shapes who we are. It shapes the goals we set, the path we take and the energy we put into accomplishing our dreams. If we believe ourselves to be inadequate to meet the challenge, incapable of pushing our limits then we will be stuck doing what we’ve always been doing and getting the same results we’ve always gotten. If we wait for others to approve and give support or for the stars to perfectly align before we move forward in our plan, we will always be waiting.
One of the great icons of the motivational world, Zig Ziglar used to say that he was so positive, so sure of accomplishing his goals that he would, “go after Moby Dick in a rowboat and take the tartar sauce with me.” What about you? Can you envision your goal? Can you envision you in the future accomplishing your goal? Are your beliefs inline with success? Are you so confident, so determined that you would take off after Moby Dick and bring the tartar sauce?
Want to tackle those dragon beliefs that are limiting your life? Want to become a Dream Achiever? I can help slay the dragon and get you unstuck with my Dream Achiever: Coaching for Success program.